Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Education is power...

Being an overweight person, you look to all the latest, craziest diets trending on the market.  It becomes information overload, being bombarded with differing opinions, and eventually your head is spinning.  Take the latest info out there on the egg/cholesterol debate again, poor egg has been tortured from both sides.  Now it appears to be okay again...when the scientist can't agree, how are we supposed to trust anything.

So I have been taking some classes, one series I am attending is thru our health care system, called Craving Change.  A couple take away points for me have been to look at the diets out there, and the ones I struggle with are to be Vegan or Paleo...so the question raised was, can I do it for life.  If I can, then try it, if I can't see myself giving up foods, finding alternatives, making sure I get all the nutrition, then don't even start, you do more damage starting and failing, that way.  Stop being a Yo-yo.

Another take away point was to live with the 80/20 rule.  Whatever plan you are on, make a commitment to do it right 80% of the time, and allow 20% for flexibility, and fun.  Don't make it an entire cheat day, but just a cheat snack, or cheat treat...making sure not to sabotage your weightloss, but not be so strict you have no fun either.  You don't want to feel deprived, fall off the wagon and binge yourself silly.  So be kind to yourself, and be reasonable, but be aware and mindful, make it a planned cheat.

I learned we have different reasons for eating, we have what they referred to as mouth hunger, stomach hunger, and heart hunger., and to be aware of what we a feeling before we reach for food.  Apply a method called H.A.L.T...are we Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.  We need to be more aware of our emotions, and that has made me realise that I should visit a therapist to work thru some painful childhood issues, that may still be having an impact on my life today. 

So all in all, I would encourage anyone that thinks being overweight is simply over eating and lack of exercise to attend some of these workshops.  I have a vast knowledge of how to eat healthy, I make healthy meals for the family, we do get in activity as well...and I am very proud of my family for their effort to make better choices.  Yet I am still and have always struggled to get the pounds off...and this does get me frustrated.  I was also a yo-yo...trying to follow some crazy plans, only to fail because they were unreasonable, and not sustainable.

Last week my husband came with me, and we attended a lecture held by Dr Arya Sharma, and it was very encouraging.  I am happy to say, it gave me the reassurance that I can ignore all those diets, and just eat sensibly. By not gaining weight, it is also considered a success.  We need to go back to basics, nothing processed, lean meats, fruits, veggies, whole foods and exercise.  It is not an old concept for sure, but one that we need to re-visit and wouldn't life be so much more enjoyable if we can live in balance.  I've always been drawn to the idea of Clean Eating, and now this is going to be something I can make a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment