Sunday, 29 April 2018

Surgery has come and gone!

I lost this blog in the switch over to a new computer, but finally we got the old links restored.  For the life of me I could not remember the title. 

So with that said a lot has happened.  Over the past 2 years I went thru the clinics program.  The biggest thing was to journal all food, lose weight and do not gain.  Always making the necessary changes so that after surgery things are easier.  Such things as, no soda, limit alcohol, exercise and strive for 10,000 steps, chew food slowly and a big one, stop drinking and eating at the same time.

Dec 1, 2016 I signed consent for surgery with Dr Karmali.  Feb 2017, I had the gastroscope done and a biopsy to rule out H-Pylori. (I didn't have it).  Then the wait is official for surgery...they call it release for surgery. 

I got the call, Feb 2018 with a surgery date of march 22, 2018.  The liquid diet started on March 1/2018.  Since this interrupts both my anniversary and the twins birthday we decided to take them on a little weekend getaway to have some fun.

The liquid diet was awful but bearable.  I started with the Ensure High Protein, which is disgusting.  I gagged on the strawberry flavor, the chocolate I could drink but mostly froze and ate it.  The vanilla I heated up, and then added boiling water and 2 chai tea bags...it made it easier to drink.  I was also supposed to eat 1/2 cup cottage cheese or 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt...I tried, they were awful...eventually I quit.  Instead I went off program and had a few veggies, mini cucumber, celery, even a small salad once.  There was some nights in that first week where I did eat a piece of meat.  After a week I switched to Boost High Protein, and the taste was so much better.  I no longer needed to snack, and the shakes alone were enough to push thru to surgery.  Funny thing is I had gained over the holidays leading up the liquid diet., and the liquid diet made me lose all that I gained and put me back to my last weigh in.  So that kinda sucked, but I did enjoy the holidays., and I knew I was facing a future where I would be restricted in new ways. 

Surgery day came, and I have a new surgeon, a Dr Vu., with Dr Karmali assisting.  So I was in good hands, but nervous.  I was able to get the kids off to school, take my bag and get to the hospital.  Surgery was scheduled for 1pm., and according to the report I was "uncomplicated".  Happy to know everything went smoothly.  I stayed at the hospital for 3 nights.  The first night was awful, I never got my private or semi private room, instead I was put in room with 3 other women.  Then they brought in a 4th person from the emergency clinic, and she was loud, whining and very annoying.  Acted liked a spoiled child but in her 20's-30's...I had my curtain closed.  She was upset because she was moved into a full room while she waited for gallbladder surgery.  At the same time she was being placed, the older lady beside me, had diarrhea all over herself, the floor, and the bathroom.  Apparently they had given her something to help the bowels.  So the first night was a mess.  By the 2nd day, the girl was removed and things that night were better.  The only problem then became that the older lady, who spoke very little English, talked and yelled in her sleep.  The lady across from me, had her teenage daughter and 3yr old son visit and they were noisy, and when they were gone she would use her cell phone on speaker.  The only nice lady was across from me, who had been there awhile, and she was very sweet., she was from Slave Lake. 

During my stay I had excellent nurses and care.  I was treated very well for all pain.  I had some breathing issues, I learned that anesthetic can make the lungs sticky.  I had a hard time getting enough oxygen, so they added it to my C-Pap machine.  I didn't have any additional nitrous gas pain that others have, so that was lucky.  I went in on a Thurs, I could have gone home that Sat morning, but I asked to stay 1 extra night.  I had not had a BM, I had not passed much gas, and I had not had any food yet., to test the new tummy.  It took a day before they give you a leak test, and make sure you are ok, so no liquids are allowed.  I had a cup of water and blue sponges to wet my mouth.  By  Fri night, I was given some broth.  So Sat was my attempt to try food, like runny oatmeal, soup, pudding...everything was good, even tho I could only have a couple spoons.  Sat night I had diarrhea, and I had finally passed a lot of gas.  By the early hours on Sunday my period started., it came early.   Sunday before lunch I was going home.

The first week home, I slept on the couch in the living room.  I had a heating pad for my sore back, and hubby and the kids helped.  The kids had spring break so that worked out well for us.  The 2nd week, I moved back to the bed, but it was pretty uncomfortable trying to find a comfortable position.  I stuck to the rules of soft foods and didn't do any lifting, cleaning and generally stayed hands off everything.  The 3rd week, I began to help hubby with a few little things, but for the most part I was having a lot of back pain, back in the kidneys.  I almost went to the dr, but it passed...I believe the muscles were just compensating for the stomach.  By the 4th week, things finally began to feel normal, but still I kept hands off.  The 5th week is where I am now.  I went for the follow up, and I healed very nicely, and was given permission to have baths, go swimming and resume light duties.

With regards to eating foods, the first two weeks was pretty easy.  Foods had to be soft and mushy, no chewing required.  By the 3rd week I could introduce some soft texture foods, such as eggs, tuna, chicken...chewing very well.  Had a couple episodes where I threw up, learned that microwaving leftovers does not agree with me.  I had some intense pain from trying to eat ground beef.  At 5 weeks, I have reintroduced a lot more choices, but still struggle with getting enough protein. 

My starting weight when I entered the clinic was an all time high of 267lbs, and my weight before surgery and after the liquid diet was 240lbs, and today's weight is 223lbs.  Sat Apr 29/2018.  I see a big difference in my clothes, but have not seen a difference in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment