Well the excitement has turned to disappointment. I went to the May 6th appt, all went well. It didn't take to long. I met with the nurse, he had me sign some paperwork and then gave me a requisition for blood work, and a echo cardiogram...check my heart beat rhythm. When we left, I had asked about the time I can expect to be waiting., and he said at least a year. Here I thought since I've been waiting already for 17 mths, and I did the required steps of classes...that the remaining steps could take a couple months, and I'd have surgery making the whole process approx. 2 yrs.
Nope this would not be the case. I came home feeling like my expectations of this process were all lies. I did the blood work, and the heart test. I was also given instructions to record all my food, which I had been doing. Also I was told to get a step tracker, so I ordered a Fitbit One. My next apt was 1 mth.
So I started to track the steps, and continued to track my food. Went camping for the May long weekend. Got over the fact I had another year to wait...still hoped it would happen before my daughter graduated so I could feel better about myself, and we'd have some new family pictures. I was still okay.
Appt #2, I am back at the office, and this time I have 3 people to meet. First I meet the dietician, and we discuss the calories, the journal, and some of the struggles I have faced. Second I meet the one of the doctors, the Internist, and she reviewed my lab report. She said everything was good, no major red flags, my cholesterol was a bit up, and my iron as usual was low. The goal of 10% was given again., and it was her that informed me, I was looking at a 2yr wait ahead. I was shocked...how could that be, I was first told 2 yrs from referral, then the nurse added a yr, and now she's adding 2yrs. So from referral to surgery...I'm now being told is 3-4yrs. I do not have to follow up with the dr, since I am in good shape for surgery, medically I am cleared for it. Next I saw the psychologist, we talked about all things relating to food, if I am an emotional eater, boredom, bad habits. Did I ever purge or starve? It wasn't quite what I thought would happen, I thought maybe I'd be shrinked abit more. Tho we did discuss some aspects of my childhood, and the progression of how I got to my weight, it didn't feel like I was being helped...but maybe I misunderstood how this would go., as I have never been to one before.
So the end of the day, I have follow ups with the dietician, and the psychologist, and see the nurse again. I expect to have monthly appts now, until surgery to track progress. I was told that I need to lose the 10%, but didn't have a time frame., and the flip side of that is if I gain weight I am disqualified from the program.
So there we have it, and the new breakdown:
Jan 2015----referred
May 2016---1st apt
June 2016---2nd apt
(expected surgery date June 2018)
No comments:
Post a Comment